August 2, 2012

How to Keep a Lasting Friendship

I got this on my mom's notes on facebook, that I want to share here on blogger.

"friendship that is as close as family doesn't happen in a day. Like anything worthwhile, it takes work. Here are some of the best advices I got from the book " Grits Friends are Forevah" by Deborah Ford, on building true friendship that last."~ Mom


1. Men give advice. Women give an ear. When your Friend wants to talk about her troubles, the best thing to do is listen, and then listen some more. Sometimes, all a woman wants or needs is a shoulder to cry on. Don't offer twenty ways to fix her problems, if she wanted someone who droned on and on about how she needed to fix herself, she would go to a man. "Sometimes, when wounds are the freshest, it is best to say the fewest words. A simple hug and or a kiss would be enough if you are together."

2. The best way to grow friendship is to give time and opportunity. If you haven't spoken to your friend in a while, call her just to say hello (i"n present time, a text message or an email of a private message in Fb will do"). Find out what's happening in her life, and whether you can help in her pains and share in her joys. We're all busy but nothing is as important as spending time with those who are important to you. Stay in touch, spend time together, but offer space for the friendship to grow on its own.

3. Trust and honesty are essential to a close friendship. A real friend won't betray you and won't gossip about you and, above all else will always tell the truth. If it's time for you to give up the heels and short skirts - if there is really such a time for a true friend she will let you know. And she won't share that opinion with the whole neighborhood. She'll be gentle but she'll be truthful. In my mind, even a white lie is a red flag. ("And I have to agree with this".)

4. Take time to let your friends know that you care. "Giving gifts on birthdays, anniversaries, and for just any old reason at all. A card, an email, a text message or private message, or a little note of kind words will let them know that they are important to you."

Here are some good friends,that I met here on blogger.
  •  Tita Bames (I've never met her personally, but she's a good friend of my mom,  she gives me e-books and  GREAT tips!
  • Dan (I know him personally, he's my Bestie. Sometimes we argue, but most of the time we agree on things.)
  • Jemimah (I also know Ate Jemi, she's a co-homeschooler, she designed my blog, and a very, very nice person.)
  • Britt ( I don't know her personally, but when we talked, I felt she has a good heart! She shares me some tips here on blogger! )
  • Hannah (She thoughtfully comments on my blog post! Thanks Hannah!)
  • Emma (Like Hannah, she does too! )
  • Hannah ( Another co-homeschooler, I've never met her face to face yet, but soon I will! :) She's really great in photoshop!)

6 comments:

  1. Aw you're so sweet! :D Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you Jodie!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, thank you for the mention (and the tips)! :)

    ReplyDelete

"The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." ~ Proverbs 12:18